I built my first low budget vertical structure for the microgreens. I used:
- (8) 3M 1/2″ pvc pipes
- (20) Ts
- (4) 45 elbows
- (6) T5 lights at 600Watts/tube
- (1) Power switch
I’ll be using 3/4″ pipe for the next one. This one turned out to be too flimsy.
A few details to consider when growing microgreens in an urban setting similar to mine:
- Do fill the substrate (in my case the vermicast) to the brim of the tray. It allows more air flow through the roots and stems avoiding mold and other rot issues. It also makes it easier to harvest.
- Cover the arugula for at least 3 days straight without watering it. We want the microgreens to grow at least 2″ tall before uncovering.
- Experiment with substrate mixes. I’m going to use 50% Coco coir and 50% Vermicast to test the differences. I might also supplement it with organic fertilizer to work with just to see if it makes any difference at all.
- Might want to consider drilling holes on the bottom of each plastic trays. It’s easier to water from the bottom than from the side, creating an even distribution of moistness.
- Leave the fan on as often as you can especially during noon time.
- Keep the T5 lights on at least 18 hours a day.