It’s mid October and it’s starting to get a bit chilly. Winter is coming! Here are some updates for this month:
I’ve been able to harvest 3 towers since the beginning of September. I should really start weighing the harvest just to see what kind of yields I’m getting with just 4 towers 5′ towers. So far I’ve been able to grow mostly lettuce and kale with the towers. Unlike in Manila where we have so much success growing Basil, I don’t get the same results here. In fact I’m not sure it likes growing off of my balcony. I’m pretty sure it’s because the towers don’t get direct sunlight until around 3-4 in the afternoon. With that said, I think I’ll remove the basil plants completely and focus on growing lettuce or kale. I find myself having to rebalance the ph and EC every 3-4 days keeping it at the range of 1.5EC and 5.5-6ph. Water change happens once every 2 weeks when I remember. By the way, my 4th drip line stopped working today. It might be time to clean the pump and all the drip lines.
At the beginning, I didn’t think that the tomato plants given to me by my sister-in-law was going to survive, mainly because the seeds came from grocery bought tomatoes. Surprisingly I’ve been able to keep the tomato plants growing. It has grown 22″ in the past 27 days, the leaf looks healthy with very little pest bothering it. I’m also starting to get some blooms. I’m hoping that the cooler weather doesn’t stunt the fruiting process! I’m running a 15 gallon reservoir with an average ph of 5.7 and and EC of 2.5.
I added airlines to both systems hoping it’ll help get more oxygen to the roots.
Lastly, I started to experiment with microgreens. I got myself a Bio-set Sprouter via Johnny Selected Seeds and also picked up some spicy micro mix and some Red Russian Kale micro mix. I started the seeds October 12 and the clip at the end of the video was shot October 18. That’s only 6 days of grow time with nothing but tap water. Pretty amazing to watch them double in size everyday.